Thursday, November 18, 2004

Comic Book Pick Of The Week


Birds Of Prey #76

Written by: Gail Simone
Art by: Ed Benes
Format: Monthly
Price: $2.50
Publisher: DC
Synopsis: "Hero Hunters" begins as the Birds hit the road to round up deadly vigilantes. First up - a teenager with a suspiciously familiar magic touch.

-----
I followed Gail Simone to DC after her great run on Deadpool/Agent X at Marvel. Those that know me, know my comic book history and taste runs mostly Marvel. But there are certain writers that are worth having to wade through character mythology that you may not otherwise be familiar with. Such as the case with Gail's Birds Of Prey. For those unfamiliar with her work, her mix of comedy, action and drama compare most closely to Joss Whedon in both style and substance. I've enjoyed her run, but I must admit last issue took me a bit off guard. Up until #74, her run has been self contained, with a few references to an Oracle/Huntress/Nightwing situation that was pretty easy to fill in the blanks. But issue #75 took place post "War Games" storyline in the Batman titles, which I had no clue about. The story still made sense, but the impact to the status quo was massive. Their base of operations was destroyed and Gotham City was no longer a viable location to work. (I'm going to have to look this storyline up on-line.) So it was off to Dayton, Ohio. Fair enough. I'm not sure where they plan to go with this (other than Metropolis, based on future solicits) but as long as Gail's writing the story, it'll be worth the read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home