Wednesday, April 06, 2005

My Favorite Bar Joke Has Been Burgled From Me Like A Bag Of San Diego Dog Turds

An old gag I used to enjoy would be sitting around a bar, often at "Trivia Night" and starting a simple "prep session" where I would often query to my tablemates, "What are the five Oceans?" Note: You must do this loud enough for the next table to hear. Your table will quickly come up with Atlantic and Pacific. Then typically Arctic and Indian. And then struggle forever trying to figure out the fifth. While they do this, you can often look around the bar and, based on the often extended three or four digits on people's hands, can safely assume the table next to you has done their job and your question has spread like wildfire. Excelllllent.

But apparently in 2000, something totally fucked up happened. We officially got a fifth Ocean. The Southern Ocean. Did anyone get an e-mail about this? Did this somehow slip under the radar when half of our computers' clocks reverted to 1900 and turned into dust? Seriously, did anyone not in elementary school or working in a field that gives a fuck about oceans hear about this? Am I crazy?

The good news is now my bar gag has become a sweet as hell bar bet for at least another, what, 5 years until kids who know about this start showing up with fake I.D.s at my dive bar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home